Sunday, August 3, 2008

August 3, 2007....

It was a year ago today that Nathan was born still, and it's been a difficult but sweet day. Really though, this whole summer has been like that -- very hard. I'll be sitting by the pool, watching the kids swimming, and I'll suddenly feel like I'm reliving a moment from last summer. The sights and sounds, my iced tea, the feel of the water spray and the sweat running down the back of my neck -- all take me back. I look down and remember my big pregnant belly and what it felt like to be blissfully unaware, still looking forward in excited anticipation, not having any idea it was all about to come crashing down around me.

I'm sure each mom does things differently to honor (and just to *survive*) the anniversary of her baby's/child's death. What means so much to one mom might not mean as much to another. I can only share what is helping me, and I am just starting out on a lifelong journey.

When Nathan died, I felt compelled, instinctively, to make memories for my other kids. So throughout my 29 hours in the hospital with Nathan, as the nurses monitored my recovery, I had my older girls taking pictures. We took his footprint and cut a piece of his hair. I wrapped him in a special blanket that I'd crocheted for him. I dressed him in two separate outfits on those two days (and then we bought him a special one for his burial). This week, I put out all those things (and more) for my kids to handle, to feel, to snuggle, to remember.

After the funeral, I spent the rest of August doing Nathan's scrapbook. I just worked on it every day at the kitchen table. I didn't really do anything *except* this -- it was my way of getting through that awful time. I read several books, (especially MacArthur's _Safe in His Arms_), searching for comfort, for reason, for something to write in the scrapbook. I cried. And I cried some more. Then I cut and arranged and wrote out my heart. It was my therapy.

I know my children saw how important Nathan is (and in turn, *they* are...) to me. I was so blessed that I had the freedom and ability to work uninterrupted for the most part. My older girls were wonderful in handling the younger kids because I just couldn't at that time. Also, I didn't have to worry about meals since the local homeschool moms took it on themselves to provide for us for a full month. They still have no idea how much that helped me. Doing Nathan's scrapbook was how I **grieved** and how I healed, too.

The scrapbook has played a huge role for my whole family in remembering Nathan this week. I brought out the scrapbook from my room several days ago and put it where everyone could have a chance to look through it again. The book is filled with pictures of the kids holding Nathan, with my journaling of what Nathan meant to us, and with special verses and songs and poems that have really helped me. The kids all love it, and I will make sure to bring it out every year during this first week of August.

When I was in the hospital with Nathan, Caiti (my oldest daughter) brought Nathan a little stuffed elephant. It is in Nathan's picture that I have here on my blog, and it sits next to that same framed picture in my front room now. At Christmas-time, Megan (my almost 5yo dd) gave Nathan her own stuffed elephant, too, and this week I found a small cute painted elephant that I took to Nathan's gravesite. The elephant has become a little mascot for my boy, and I have a feeling I will be on the lookout for these animals from now on.... Perhaps each year on Nathan's anniversary, I will add one to his collection.

This week I also found a little porcelain teddy bear "Mama" with angel wings. She's sitting down and a beautiful little toddler boy is kneeling against her lap. For some reason, this figurine spoke to my Mama's heart. I bought two of them -- and I put one at the cemetery, and the other is now sitting on my fireplace mantel next to a picture of Nathan.

I actually spent a lot of time at Nathan's grave this week. I've been going there regularly all year -- once a week at least, often more. I don't consider it morbid. I gain a sense of peace and equilibrium from spending 30 minutes to an hour trimming the grass around all the pinwheels and silk flowers I have "planted" there. I usually listen to some special songs on my CDs on the drive to the cemetery (such as "Homesick"), and I spend some time praying out loud, just telling God my feelings without having to worry that what I'm saying might shock Him or upset HIm. I know He can handle it -- thankfully! This routine has really helped me get through this year in one piece.

As July drew to a close, and I knew the anniversary was approaching, I realized I wanted to mark the day as being significant to our family (because it really is), and yet I didn't want to drag anyone down into depression. (Having teenage girls, I do try to be aware of their hormonal tendencies...). At Nathan's funeral, each of the kids released a colorful helium balloon to "fly" up to Nathan, as I thought this would help the little ones (Megan really, as Audrey is too young) to understand better where Nathan is right now. It seemed to work very well last summer, so I thought we'd do it again today as a sort of tradition. So we did -- from 21yo Caiti down to 2yo Audrey, and they all laughed and pointed and tried to keep track of those balloons racing all the way up to Nathan in heaven.

In the 3 & 4yo SS class I teach, Megan told everyone that today is her brother Nathan's birthday but that he died and he lives in heaven now. She is very aware of when Nathan's birthday is because hers is just 12 days after it, and she is quite happy that they share the same birthstone (peridot). The children this morning asked all about Nathan, and they were very impressed that he gets to live with Jesus already. It was very sweet.

My oldest daughter brought me some beautiful flowers today along with a little wooden bird, painted a dusky green, with the word "Love" written at the base. She just wanted me to know how much she cares.

It hasn't all been light and pretty though.

I have spent hours this week just groaning those guttural cries that we make when there simply are no words. But overall, for me, it works best to regularly unburden my soul cries to the Lord. Otherwise I risk falling back into that scary pit of depression that still threatens to overwhelm me at times.

A month ago, while I was working on the flowers at Nathan's grave, I saw a small family come and sit by a new grave for a while. A young girl ran around the grounds, the father stood off silent and alone, and the mother sank down to the grass in what looked like desperation. I had a strong feeling that she had just lost a baby. After they left, I went to see -- and yes, their baby boy was born still, too. Yesterday I took a bouquet of yellow roses, tied with Nathan's signature white ribbon w/ the pastel baby footprints, and planted it off to the side at their little boy's grave.

Today, the mom had moved the yellow roses into the center with her own flowers. I think she knows where they came from and hope she understands I am praying for her. Maybe Nathan is even now playing in heaven with their Casyn.


Kim

4 comments:

KimG in AZ said...

This was really lovely. I could feel your pain and cried for you and your loss. Aren't we so blessed to have the hope in Jesus that we will be reunited with Him and our loved ones in a perfect state forever and ever? Some days that hope is all that I have have. You are so blessed to have such a "full quiver" and still be an inspiration to others. I passed on your blog to my girlfriend who lost a little boy, Paul, at four months in utero. She was blessed to have read your blog. Thank you and God bless you and your family as you strive for His Kingdom and glory!

Salomea said...

Dear Kim,

I wasn't here last year and I had no idea of your loss. My heart goes to you and your family - it is hard to imagine what you feel. But one think is sure - you have your own Angel in Heaven praying for you ...
As English is not my native language I cannot express myself as I'd like to but I hope you understand.
Lots of love to all of you,
Mona

Audrey said...

What beautiful memories and traditions you have created in honor of your sweet Nathan.

My heart aches for your loss and rejoices along with you for the birth and life of your litle one.

For we both know that he is eternal and you will both hold each other again.

Darci Salisbury said...

HI Kim, oh so nice to meet you! I stumbled upon your blog via Winter PRess AS1 forum, as we will starting next week. Your children "rank" inspiried me to click your blog link.

I am blessed homeschool mama of five boys, and my oldest is 8. I am so sorry for your loss and pain here on earth with Nathan Jeremy being born still. I can't imagine.

I admit my last 2 pregnancies have been plagued with this fear. Fear of my baby being born still. I also had diabetes with the last one. At 38 weeks I naturally did everything I could to get the babies "out", as I feared death. In the midst of it, I didn't really see the fear, but I am now praying against it for any future pregnancies the Lord blesses us with.

Grief is definetly the result of loving much. I am no stranger to it, either my friend. I know the Lord had me stumble upon your blog last night, admist my busyness. I read the last word of this post, and my nine month old (today) began crying, and I went and spent some time grieving and praying as I loved on him.

My grief attacks don't happen as much these days, and often Tucker's death doesn't seem part of my reality or like it really happened to me. Part of my imagination? A bad dream?

My past 2 years of grief have been a big blurr, to be honest. Feb 8th of 2006, I was about 4 months pregnant with boy #4, and my almost three year old was found dead in his crib. tuckersalisbury.com I can relate to those gut, no-breathing cries to the Lord you were describing, I call them
"help me Jesus - prayers" as when I could utter words, those were the ones that could come out, over and over. Mostly I would hover into a fetal position in my bedroom closet, under and behind the hanging clothes. (I am not sure why, but that was the common place for me)

Anyway, I just wanted to thank you for your posts and your honest journey. I am blessed to read someone's grieving heart as they cling to the Lord, and still can "live". I have felt the presence of the Lord like never before through this. Great is His faithfullness, His mercies are new every morning!

Still, even 2.5 years later Tucker is always part of my everyday thoughts. Just today we all were playing in the driveway, and as a car pulled in, I did my headcounts, and as I knew someone was missing I looked for them, and then ache in my heart as I realized I keep Tucker so much of my instant reality that I was worried when I didn't count him. Strange, strange ... but that's grief. I do have 5 boys.

Safe In The Arms of God is my fav grieving book, and I have enjoyed mailing them to my new friends in grief. Since you have it already, I'll save if for another.

I love homesick, and that's what we are. I have never anticipated Heaven like I do now. So, I'm rambling.

I must be honest, I was freaked out by seeing Nathan Jeremy's photo on your blog. Freaked out, not because of death, but freaked out because of the reaction inside me. Flashbacks of my own lifeless boy, yet so beautiful and precious to me. It has a framiliar "look", I don't know if that makes sense or not. I don't have any pics of Tuck's body without his spirit, but I wish I did. I have the coffin, but I want one of his body. Time seems to steal memories from me, and that makes me mad. I imagine others may have different reactions to your photo, and imagine it may bother some. I wanted to encourage you to keep it there forever. It is beautiful. Beautiful because it is your son, but also because it is a beautiful wordless message of the gift babies are from the Lord, the fraility of life, and the reality of Eternity and EVERYONE's need for JESUS. I love it.

I imagine you wish you had living photos of Nathan Jeremy other than ultrasound, so I don't want this to hurt your feelings. I am just speaking openly to you, and I dont' think my words do justice the impact that photo has. And, I believe it takes courage to share it openly. I have a frame with Tuck's life, including photos of the coffin, burial, and our families grieving faces of tears. Often I see guests faces as they look upon it, an no one has EVER commented. May the Lord stir their hearts for His business. I pray sin and harm is absent from these many words from me, as you read them!

I too did the self-made scrapbook-greiving-course, and it was wonderful!

Nice to meet you, and I imagine there's some fun playgroup going on in Heaven with all the little one's praising His name for all eternity. I can't wait to join them! Until then,I purpose to keep on, serving my Savior, and raising these boys to be Mighty Warriors for Him.

I am doing WP this year because I haven't been the best teacher these past years. Mostly DVD's and reading. I am impressed you continued in your grief. I was led to WP by the Lord as I searched for a program that would unite and ignite our family in the excitement of learning history, etc.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, blessings to your beautiful family.

Your friend in Jesus, and grief,
darci

In the Lord's grace, striving to be a kind, joyful, & relaxed wife - and mommy to Ving (8), Hunter (6.5), Tucker (5.3.03 - moved to Heaven 2.8.06), Isaac (2), and Isaiah (9mos)

A Recipe For You to Try....


COFFEE KUCHEN

3 Cups unbleached flour (I use at least half whole wheat)
3 tsp. baking powder (non-aluminum)
1/4 tsp. Salt
1 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
2 Cups brown sugar
3 Tbsp. instant coffee, dry
1/2 Cup butter
1/2 Cup shortening (non-hydrogenated)
1 Cup milk (nonfat)
1/8 tsp. baking soda
2 eggs, slightly beaten


(Sometimes I replace some of the butter/shortening with liquid Butter Buds or "Lighter Bake" -- which is made from prune butter -- or with applesauce.)

This is supposed to be a very tall coffee cake, so it is baked in a small pan (8 or 9" square). However, I usually double the recipe and bake it in a 9x13 pan to feed my hungry crowd. You can also make the original recipe amount and bake it in 9 x 13 pan and just have a shorter coffee cake. I *do* think it tastes better when it is taller for some reason. The best thing about this coffee cake (other than its scrumptious taste!) is the velvety texture -- very different and very good.


Mix the 6 dry ingredients together. Cut in the butter and shortening with 2 knives or a pastry cutter until the mixture resembles pea-sized lumps. **Set aside** 1 Cup of this dry mixture for topping.

Now mix well together the milk, baking soda, and eggs. Stir into the dry mixture all at once with a wooden spoon just until combined -- don't overmix. Pour into greased pan, and sprinkle with reserved topping mixture.

Bake at 350 F for 50 to 65 minutes, depending on the pan and amount of coffee cake you made. Judge by the color (rich dark brown) and the usual "knife" test (coming out clean from center poke).

Enjoy! It's a little messy, but it will melt in your mouth.....



Favorite Read-Alouds for our Family..... in no particular order, and some are for older children...

  • Little House series (Laura Ingalls Wilder)
  • American Girls History series (various authors)
  • Swiss Family Robinson (Johann David Wyss)
  • Little Britches (Ralph Moody)
  • Mama's Way (Thyra Ferre Bjorn)
  • The Time Travelers (originally titled -- Gideon: The Cutpurse) (Linda Buckley-Archer)
  • The Phantom Tollbooth (Norton Juster)
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society (Stewart Trenton)
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Perilous Journey (Bk. 2 -- Stewart Trenton)
  • Pilgrim's Progress (John Bunyan)
  • Little Women (Louisa May Alcott)
  • Deltora Quest series (Emily Rodda)
  • Cheaper By the Dozen (Frank Gilbreth and Elizabeth Gilbreth-Carey)
  • Chronicles of Narnia series (C.S. Lewis)
  • A Wrinkle in Time (Madeleine L'Engle)
  • Percy Jackson and the Olympians (Rick Riordan)
  • Lord of the Rings series (J.R. Tolkien)

Our American History Journey

After years of studying world history intensively (while inevitably reading American historical fiction and biographies on the side because we just couldn't help ourselves), two years ago we decided to actually tackle our country's history from start to finish in a more "formal" manner. Of course, "formal" doesn't mean much around here.... ;-) Mostly it denotes that we have a chronological outline to follow. However, it does not preclude tangents. We love tangents. Fortunately for us, (for many reasons), we live in the United States, and our country's history is relatively short -- so there is plenty of time for those interesting tangents!

Also fortunately for us, we have found fantastic guidelines and enrichment ideas in the American Story themed units from WinterPromise.

http://www.winterpromise.com/

I discovered the WinterPromise company a few years ago when it first started, and I love it! It's exactly the type of curriculum I'd write if I was publishing one myself. ;-)

Actually, for many years, I've cobbled together just such a program for my own family. I've gathered what I consider the "best of the best" from many sources to make our learning interesting, thought-provoking, and fun. Now, WinterPromise does most of the work for me. Though, of course, being who I am, I can't resist tweaking things around a bit and adding this and that.

Still, WinterPromise is the only "curriculum" I recommend to homeschoolers who are not completely satisfied and excited with what they are currently doing. It's the kind of program that can be used in entirety or just in bits and pieces for enrichment. Plus, WP engages every learning style, and that element alone makes learning something all kids can enjoy!

So, as to American History, we began our journey in the fall of '07 with the explorers to the New World, and in May '08, we came to the end of our first homeschool year in a very long time (in other words, since the older kids were little...) that was focused on American history. It was enlightening, and it was great fun. We have a lot of wonderful memories, pictures, and stories.

This past year ('08/'09), we spent September through November studying the election process in an in-depth manner to coincide with the landmark campaign and election of our first African-American president. In December, we spent some time on the Gold Rush days of California, and then when January arrived, we decided to detour a bit. I made a big commitment to become the official National History Day County Coordinator, and 5 of my kids chose to compete in various categories. In addition, I actively recruited homeschooled students from my drama groups to participate with us in History Day.

The National History Day competition encourages children (6th-12th grades, and in CA, 4th/5th grades, too) to learn to research and analyze history as they prepare different sorts of projects (papers, documentaries, posters, exhibits, websites, or performances) for their county, state, and even National competitions. There is a different theme each year, and this year's theme is "The Individual in History: Actions and Legacies." I ended up with 20 students participating in our county's HD event, and it was so exciting. The kids chose to study the following individuals in history:

Samuel Morse
Louis Braille
Joan of Arc
Laura Bridgman
Helen Keller
Elizabeth Blackwell
Gen. George S. Patton
Amy Carmichael
Sarah Emma Edmonds
John James Audubon
Janusz Korczak
Gen. George H. Thomas
John Hart
Prince Henry the Navigator

Do you know who all these people are?! Do you really understand the legacies they have left to this world? These kids certainly do!

Several members of our county's team made it to the Finalist level at the California State competition, and a couple won special awards, and my son Ben actually won the gold medal in the Historical Paper category and will be competing at the National level in less than two weeks!

So this past semester was given over to establishing our county's History Day program. A couple of my own kids' "individuals" fit into the time frame we had reached at that point in our history study... mid-to-late nineteenth century. My 9 yo's Poster was on Louis Braille -- though not American, he did have a profound effect on America with his Braille language via Dr. Samuel Gridley-Howe who brought the 6-dot system back to the U.S. to use at his School for the Blind (Laura Bridgman being the first student he taught using Braille's methods). Interestingly, Jim's group drama about Helen Keller meshed perfectly with his Louis Braille studies, and we were all surprised to learn there was a *lot* we didn't know about the famous "miracle" child.

My 11yo Ellie Rose did her individual drama performance on Elizabeth Blackwell, the first American woman doctor, so that fit in perfectly with our studies, as we came to realize more fully how difficult such pioneer work was in the second half of the 1800s. We also learned that there was more than one side to the whole women's rights issue and found that a fascinating tangent to explore.

Ben's paper carried us back in time a bit to mid-to-late fifteenth century Portugal and Africa where Henry the Navigator was carrying out his military crusades and sponsoring exploration expeditions. Through his research, Ben discovered (and then enlightened us to the fact!) that those expeditions were actually what directly led to the explosion of the Atlantic Slave Trade in Europe.

Shannon's individual drama focused on Amy Carmichael and her work with the children in India (especially the temple girls). Her research highlighted for us what it means to take a stand against the status quo (in this case, both the caste system of India and the "traditional" ways the European missionaries of that time interactede with the people of India) in order to do what is right and best for people in dire need.

Deedee's paper on Janusz Korczak, the famous Polish Jewish pediatrician who ran an orphanage in the Warsaw ghettoes during WWII and was executed alongside his children at the Treblinka concentration camp, also inspired us to really think about what it means to make a difference in this world. Korczak's many books on children's rights live on to proclaim to the world that children are people NOW and deserve respect and fair treatment.

I will continue to coordinate the History Day local contest each year, and my kids will continue to participate in various categories, but there won't be the same need to give it so much time as the county program is now up and running. Therefore, we can get back to the second half of our American History studies! I'm really looking forward to starting things off with a bang as we take two great road trips.

On our first trip, in July, we'll drive through the old Gold Rush cities and experience firsthand what we studied last December. Then in late August, we'll be driving back to Washington, DC. to drop Deedee off at George Washington University for her first year of college. We plan to stick around a while and see all the memorials and museums, soaking in all that glorious American history. We'll also head over to Colonial Williamsburg for a couple of living history days before starting back home (though I hope to make some interesting stops on our way back to California, too...).

As I have time, I plan to post some of the activities, websites, and books we use and love this coming year in relation to our study of American history -- picking up with the Civil War in September and carrying on through WWII by the end of May, if all goes as planned. I will *try* to do this on regular monthly basis! We will be using the WinterPromise American Story 2 as our core guide, with supplements from all over the place, including the following great website:

www.guesthollow.com/homeschool/curriculum

Please check back regularly if you are interested in updates on our progress, and feel free to comment or email with any specific questions you have about our studies.

Hope this helps or inspires someone else out there to wade into history with relish!